Check Our Rates, Availability, Book Online & Pay Securely
You can book your stay with us right here online via our booking partner Freetobook. All you need to do is enter your preferred arrival and departure dates, then select “Check availability”.
All bookings are provisional until you provide a non refundable deposit equivalent to the first nights accommodation fee.
If you have any questions about your booking, or would just prefer to speak to a human being, you can give us a call on 015394 35597. *All bookings are subject to our terms and conditions.*
Prices will vary according to time of year, weekday and weekend.
Please note: for larger groups (17+), we only take bookings with full or half board – please call direct for accommodation and inclusive meal rates.
Main House pricing from £25.50 per person per night with complimentary Basic Breakfast.
Double en-suite B&B from £77 per room per night.
Family en-suite rooms B&B for 2 adults plus 2 children from £93 per room per night.
Bunk House beds from £20 per person per night, breakfast not included.
All weekend bookings are given preference for those booking minimum of 2 nights accommodation.
When you book with us we will take your card payments online – your details will be passed to us securely. You will receive an e-mail confirmation of completed payment. Please contact us direct if you wish to check your transactions or make a payment via phone. All booking enquiries are provisional until receipt of deposit payment for the first nights accommodation. Your booking deposit is non refundable.
We guarantee you will not find cheaper rates on 3rd party booking agency sites.
Groups of any size up to a maximum of 42 are welcome at Thorney How. A short walk from the busy Grasmere village and nestled quietly under a mountain we have the best of both worlds right outside our door.
Our aim at Thorney How is to provide a relaxed and sociable atmosphere. Whilst some groups may be looking for sole use, a great many of our group bookings are for partial use, sharing the accommodation with other smaller groups as well as couples and individuals staying with us.
Thorney How has a long history of catering for groups and we aim to continue to offer a quality stay in a fantastic location. School groups, outdoor activity groups, special interest groups, family occasions and celebrations or just a holiday call us and let’s talk. Whatever it is your group may require we will always go 110% to meet your needs. Some group events / activities may incur additional charges.
We can always cater fully for your needs or if you are a smaller group of 16 or less and refer to cook for yourselves we have self catering facilities or you can mix and match whatever suits you. Please note: for larger group sizes our facilities are not appropriate for self catering.
We also have an alcohol licence for those old enough to consume our local beers and fine wines. We ask all guests not to bring or consume their own alcohol whilst at Thorney how.
All groups are required to leave a holding deposit on arrival against breakages or failure to comply with our terms and conditions detailed below.
Please note: Thorney How is now specialising in catered group accommodation. All groups with 17 or more staying will only be offered rates that include breakfasts and at least one evening meal per stay.
Terms & Conditions
When making a booking, we kindly ask that you read and agree to our terms & conditions, which you can download here as a PDF.
Terms & Conditions
• Booking enquiries can be made by phone, e-mail or online.
• When making a booking enquiry please let us know the mix of your party and the ages of any children under the age of 18.
• We will not take bookings for guests under the age of 18 unless accompanied by an adult.
• A child discount is applicable for those aged 3 to 10 years.
• Infants aged 2 years or younger will not be charged.
• A group booking is considered to be 6 people or more.
• Groups of 10 persons or more may be eligible for a midweek only discount on accommodation of 10%.
• Group bookings of 20 persons or more may be eligible to a 15% discount on accommodation at any time.
• The number of people staying may not exceed the number of bed spaces allocated in any given room. Infants may stay with parents, 1 infant per 2 bed spaces booked – please enquire in advance to confirm.
• All weekend bookings will normally be expected to be for a minimum of 2 nights and usually 3 nights for Bank Holidays.
• All bookings are provisional until you provide a non refundable deposit. This is normally equivalent to the first nights accommodation fee. This deposit will be forfeited if the booking is later cancelled.
• All single night bookings including all groups will be fully charged at the time of booking. This fee is non refundable.
• Full payment is otherwise due on arrival including any pre-booked meals.
• Bookings will only be held for a maximum of 10 days whilst awaiting a deposit payment. This period will be shortened to 24 hours if only booking you to a week ahead.
• For all larger groups (10 persons or more) we require a non refundable deposit equivalent to 25% of the total cost of the booking including all pre-booked meals and a final payment in full eight weeks prior to your stay.
• Payment for any other beverages and meals can be made at the time purchase.
• Booking deposits can be made by via electronic direct bank transfer, card payment or by postal cheque payment.
• By giving us your debit or credit card details you are authorising us to use this as security for your reservation and your accommodation. Any unpaid cancellation charges, unregistered extra guests or damages and removals (of keys, linen or fixtures and fittings) will be charged to your debit or credit card.
• Cancellations made for any room within 14 days of arrival dates will render you liable for the full amount.
• Cancellations made for any room before 14 days of arrival dates will result in loss of deposit only.
• All single night bookings will be fully charged.
• If you arrive with reduced numbers in your party and have not previously advised us 2 weeks before the full cost of the booking will still apply. If you notify us up to two weeks before only the deposit will be non refundable.
• All weekend bookings are assumed to be for a minimum of 2 nights unless agreed previously. Any subsequent reduction will be charged at the full 2 nights.
• All single night bookings are non refundable if later cancelled.
• Cancellations made for all other group bookings will result in loss of deposit and requires a minimum of 8 weeks notice.
• Any large group cancellations after 8 weeks prior to the visit will be fully charged.
• Any group reductions will be fully charged if not notified 8 weeks prior to the visit. Group reductions.
• Any group reductions notified 8 weeks prior to the visit will be charged at 25% of the full per person amount.
• Cancellations made immediately after booking will be fully refunded.
• No other exceptions apply.
• If you have any specific access needs please notify us in advance as we may not be able to offer you a different room.
• The allocation of rooms is subject to availability and the proprietor’s discretion.
• Where a family includes young children we will endeavor to allocate a room that meets the size of the family. We do have a travel cot but please ask on booking for this. Please bring your babies bedding. If you have booked a room that is smaller than your requirements we may not be able to accommodate you on arrival and you booking may be forfeited.
Whole bunkhouse / whole property.
• Thorney How and all facilities will be closed to all guests between 10.30am and 3.30pm
• Whole property bookings may be considered on request. Please note that the property is also our family home and that other staff may also be present on site 24 hours a day. We do not offer a sole use private facility as such. Please be aware that Thorney How is also open to non guests wishing to purchase drinks, meals, hire bikes and also to other delivery and maintenance personnel on a regular basis.
• Whole bunk house bookings are also available for groups. Bunk house based group guests have access to all other shared facilities in the main house.
• All shower facilities should only be used by guests within their own designated area.
• There must be a single person designated to take responsibility for all others included in a group booking. This is usually the person that makes the initial booking and / or signing the group security policy document on arrival.
Arrivals and departures
Check in time on the day of arrival is from 3.30pm. Check out time on the day of departure is 10.30 am. Vehicles may be left in the car park by request only at other times at the discretion of the owner.
We request that all bedding except mattress covers is removed from your bed prior to departure and left in your room.
We require that all social / kitchen / external areas are left in the state that you found them and generally in a good state at all times (not just when you leave) as other guests may require use of these spaces.
Thorney How is closed to all users during the day between 10.30am and 3.30pm. All external doors will be locked including the Bunkhouse.
We also have many other visitors during the day including deliveries, tradesman as well as our own staff. Please leave the car park accessible to others.
If daytime usage has been agreed for a large group booking you must ensure that all security procedures are followed. No minors should have access to the building without an adult present.
Thorney How is a fully licensed premises. We offer a full bar service and a well stocked quality wine cellar. Groups are requested to not bring their own alcohol onto the premises. We may agree with you in advance a separate ‘corkage’ charge for any own alcohol that it has been agreed can be consumed.
This applies to anywhere on the premises or grounds.
Bar opening times is normally from 3.30pm to 11.00pm.
Late at night
The bar area will be closed at 11.00pm with external doors locked.
The reception space and small guest lounge will remain available, but we ask you to respect other users of the property and adhere to an 11pm noise curfew.
When entering the building late at night and especially rooms please behave responsibly and avoid using showers
Security for personal possessions is the responsibility of individual guests at all times.
All rooms are lockable; additionally there are lockable lockers (guests will need to provide their own padlocks).
All external doors will be locked after 11pm and reopened at 7am (code access is available for gusts).
The guests self catering kitchen is locked during the hours of 11pm to 7am and 10am to 3.30pm.
We use CCTV monitoring of all key internal and external spaces.
We do not allow dogs other than specialist trained guide dogs into any part of the building. We do not allow dogs to be left in vehicles either during the day or overnight. You will be asked to leave without refund if you bring your dog to stay with you. Any visitor dogs must otherwise be on a lead at all times whilst within the grounds.
General Guest behaviour
• Fire doors are for your own safety, please do not prop them open, block access to fire exits or tamper with the fire door closing mechanism in any way.
• Any one who interferes with fire fighting equipment or fire alarms will be prosecuted.
• All buildings and grounds are strictly no smoking areas anyone found smoking or in possession of or using illegal drugs will be asked to leave immediately. No refund will be given.
• All breakages and damage should be reported and will be charged for. Non reported damage will result in loss of deposit and a further repair / replacement charge.
• Consideration should be given to other guests at all times. There should be no noise that disturbs other residents after 11pm and before 7am. Guests who flout this may be asked to leave with no refunds given.
• We operate a no curfew policy at night. Guests are free to enter and leave the building at all times except between 10.30am and 3.30pm. Code access is available to both the main house and bunkhouse accommodation at night.
• Leaders bringing young groups to Thorney How are responsible for their conduct and welfare at all times, Thorney How does not provide pastoral care.
• Whilst in site under 18’s will not be permitted to buy or consume alcohol. Proof of identification may be required for guests wishing to purchase or consume alcohol on the premises.
• We do not allow open fires or BBQ’s within the grounds.
• Bikes and other large items may be stored securely, please bring your own bike lock. We do not allow bikes or other large items to be kept with the property itself including guest bedrooms.
• Parking within the grounds is at the owners risk. We have limited car parking available – guests are expected to park cooperatively and to use the overspill area at the lane entrance to Thorney How.
• There is no charge for parking. All car owners using the car park must leave car registration details, car make, model and colour and a mobile phone number with reception.
• All guest’s cars must be removed from the car park on check out unless agreed otherwise with a member of staff.
• Vehicles above average size will find access difficult. Please make suitable arrangements before arriving.
• It is not permissible to sleep in any type of vehicle in the grounds or nearby lanes.
• It is not permissible to camp at Thorney How
• All visitors to Thorney How must present themselves at reception.
• Whilst non-guests may choose to visit you during your stay, we may remind you that existing paying guests have first priority over all facilities, social spaces and parking.
• Visitors are not allowed to use guest showers, prepare their own meals or otherwise behave as if they are a paying guest.
• It is not permissible for visitors to utilise guest rooms.
• Anyone who has already checked out of Thorney How and subsequently returned will be treated as a visitor and not a guest.
• Any other activities not referred to here may be declined at the discretion of the owners.
• The owners reserve the right to refuse entry to any individuals or groups
BY MAKING A RESERVATION AND / OR CHECKING INTO OUR PREMISES ALL GUESTS AND THIER TRAVEL COMPANIONS AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE ABOVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.